Sunday, September 19, 2010

my pregnancy with caleb



Throughout my entire pregnancy with Caleb I felt like it was trial after trial. I found out I was pregnant while we were living in Lake Havasu then we were able to move home but not into our house, so we rented for a while. I absolutely hated the house we were renting. It stunk like smoke and animals, and the kitchen felt like a dungeon. I was soooo sick I remember I thru up 13 times in one day. It was terrible. Finally we were able to move back into our house ahhhh so nice. But right before we moved back home I had my first ultrasound. It was mixed emotions when we found out we were having another boy. Ofcourse we were happy that he was healthy and had ten toes and ten fingers. But I really wanted a girl, needless to say I shed quite a few tears that day. But in the ultrasound they saw a spot on the heart and that the kidneys were dialated. We had been through the spot on the heart before with Chase so we weren't worried in the least. But they sent me to a high tech ultra sound place. It was the scarriest day of my life. We were told that those two factors combined were indicators of Down Syndrome. After that I kind of tuned out I just wanted to go to my car and cry. The Dr. said there was a pretty good chance that our baby could be Down Syndrome! I left and sat in my car and cried and cried. Then I called Mike and cried some more. I tried not to look anything up online but I couldn't help myself. I knew no matter what we would keep the baby, and the baby would be lucky to come to a family that wouldn't abuse him and do everything they could to help him. I was coming to grips with it and there was still a really good chance he would be perfectly healthy. So a couple months go by then I have to go back for another ultrasound this time he said the spot on the heart was gone. Oh thank heavens! But he was still worried about the dialated kidney and now I had to much amniotic fluid. Oh boy. So the Dr. sits Mike and I down and says it's really important that we take care of this buy monitoring it and if he needs an operation we really need to get it done. Then he continued to say worse case scenario when he's a teen he will need dialysis and they tend to only live 4-5 years! Mike and I left in shock. I had to go every week to be monitored and have ultrasounds done. Well, Caleb was born perfectly healthy. His kidney is still dialated and he has to go every six months to have an ultrasound but so far so good. In the future he might have to have a littler surgery on his "plumbing" but we are just so happy and relieved at how things transpired. It was a really humbling experience and I'm so grateful that my Heavenly Father new what was best for my family

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh! I could not even imagine what you were feeling!!! I am SOOOO glad he is healthy! He is such a cutie!

Jen and Buzz said...

Michele, you are such a brave and sweet little mommy! your boys are so lucky to have you! I am go glad that little Caleb is healthy. I know that you were all in a lot of prayers:) hope all is well, and that you are having fun with those 3 crazy cute boys.

Kevin and Natali McKee said...

Glad things are ok! Does he have Kidney Reflux?

Camille said...

I totally forgot that you guys had some scares during your pregnancy! I'm so sorry about all of that. That must have been so hard! I'm so glad he's healthy and I sure hope it STAYS that way. 3 boys is a blessing, might be disguised but a blessing. ;) One day you'll get your girl!